Cave springs - Rivolis hummer??

aagibson

I was at cave springs this evening (5/5/20) and the first bird I saw when I got out of the car (before I even had my binos on) was a hummingbird hovering over a nearby bush. I only got a 1-2 second glance at it before it flew away (and no matter how hard I tried, never saw it again during my two hours of birding) but was able to take in these three notes: it was the largest hummer I've ever seen (definitely larger than broad-tailed or Anna's), it appeared rather dark overall, partly because of the lighting, and it had a small white patch behind its eye that I could see. Has anyone ever encountered a Rivolis here? Please let me know if you're at cave springs and see it!

Other than the possible Rivolis, I also saw:
2 painted redstart
2 yellow warbler
3 yellow rumped warbler
1 orange crowned warbler
1 bridled titmouse
1 warbling vireo
2 plumbeous vireos
2 acorn woodpecker
1 downy woodpecker
1 great blue heron
3 house wren
5 American robin
1 lesser goldfinch
2 spotted towhee
2 dark eyed junco
2 hooded oriole
1 common yellowthroat
2 summer tanager
1 broad tailed hummingbird

gbotello

I was at cave springs this evening (5/5/20) and the first bird I saw when I got out of the car (before I even had my binos on) was a hummingbird hovering over a nearby bush. I only got a 1-2 second glance at it before it flew away (and no matter how hard I tried, never saw it again during my two hours of birding) but was able to take in these three notes: it was the largest hummer I've ever seen (definitely larger than broad-tailed or Anna's), it appeared rather dark overall, partly because of the lighting, and it had a small white patch behind its eye that I could see. Has anyone ever encountered a Rivolis here? Please let me know if you're at cave springs and see it!

Other than the possible Rivolis, I also saw:
2 painted redstart
2 yellow warbler
3 yellow rumped warbler
1 orange crowned warbler
1 bridled titmouse
1 warbling vireo
2 plumbeous vireos
2 acorn woodpecker
1 downy woodpecker
1 great blue heron
3 house wren
5 American robin
1 lesser goldfinch
2 spotted towhee
2 dark eyed junco
2 hooded oriole
1 common yellowthroat
2 summer tanager
1 broad tailed hummingbird
Rivolis Hummingbird does breed here in small numbers. It was sighted there last week at the camp host feeders.

Gary