First "fall" migrant: Rufous Hummingbird on 6/20/20

jawilder

Yesterday evening, 6/20/20, I walked out to my backyard and heard the distinctive higher pitched trill of a Rufous Hummingbird, in addition tot the usual trill of Broad-tailed Hummingbirds. An adult male showed himself at the feeders shortly after and was not shy about bullying all the other birds present. This date ties my earliest "fall" record, which was 6/20/19. Although, because 2020 is a leap year, I suppose this bird actually showed up one day later in the year. :)

Oodles of Broad-tailed, good numbers of Anna's, and at least one Black-chinned have also all been regular in the last couple weeks.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ

RUHU_6_21_20.jpg

Roger

I heard a RUHU in my yard on 20 June also, which is earlier than average. My earliest record is 5 June 2000.

gbotello

I had my first Rufous Hummingbird of the season in my yard, today 6/28/20. It was an adult male.

This is the earliest arrival record for my yard by at least a week. I have never had a sighting in June.

Like Jason, upon arrival, it began to chase my Broad-tails around the yard!Rufous Hummingbird Yard 6 28 20 1 100PI.jpgRufous Hummingbird Yard 6 28 20 2 100PI.jpgRufous Hummingbird Yard 6 28 20 3 100PI.jpg

Gary