Greater Pewee - Cave Springs Campground

This morning I finally made it down to the Cave Springs Campground area for the first time since February (well, the habitat north of the campground). The absolute highlight of the morning was a very vocal greater pewee. The bird was originally detected by the wide pool north of the campground that is bordered by the big red boulders, but it flew north/upstream after several minutes and continued to sing. Those of you who know my absolute love affair with all flycatchers can imagine the excitement this bird generated. (SO HAPPY right now!!)

All of the usual suspects were around, including (but not limited to) several Virginia's warblers, Lucy's warblers, yellow warblers in abundance, painted redstarts, Audubon's yellow-rumped warblers, a Grace's warbler, summer tanagers, warbling and plumbeous vireos, and Bullock's orioles. It was a delight to see all of the trees leafing out and the fruit trees blooming.

Anne

greater_pewee.jpg

gbotello

I spotted the Greater Pewee at Cave Springs Campground on 4/30/20.

If this is the same bird seen this week at the wide pool north of the campground, near the old house ruins, it was in a totally different part of the campground. I heard it singing along the road that goes to the furthest (south) end of the campground along the base of the mountain. It was up pretty high in the pines most of the time but did come a little lower for better looks.

Gary
Greater Pewee Cave Springs 4 30 20 1 100PI.jpgGreater Pewee Cave Springs 4 30 20 2 100PI.jpgGreater Pewee Cave Springs 4 30 20 3 100PI.jpgGreater Pewee Cave Springs 4 30 20 5 100PI.jpgGreater Pewee Cave Springs 4 30 20 8 100PI.jpgGreater Pewee Cave Springs 4 30 20 9 100PI.jpgGreater Pewee Cave Springs 4 30 20 11 100PI.jpg

gbotello

Also of note was a Brown-crested Flycatcher that was hanging around the area of the old house ruins and cove.

I first saw it in the large cottonwood where the Northern Flicker likes to hang out in (next to the old house foundation).

Gary
Borwn crested Fycatcher Cave Springs 4 30 20 1 100PI.jpgBorwn crested Fycatcher Cave Springs 4 30 20 3 100PI.jpgBorwn crested Fycatcher Cave Springs 4 30 20 4 100PI.jpgBorwn crested Fycatcher Cave Springs 4 30 20 5 100PI.jpg