Holbrook: BLACKPOLL WARBLER

erh36

Yesterday afternoon (20 May 2020) I found a male BLACKPOLL WARBLER on the north side of the reservoir north of Hidden Cove Golf Course near Holbrook (Navajo Co.), approx. lat/lon coordinates: 34.934, -110.198. This would appear to be a 2nd county record, following the first in Winslow last fall. The species is a casual migrant in AZ, with more records in fall than spring. It was loosely associated with some Yellow-rumped Warblers foraging in the tamarisks. To get access to the area north of the golf course, you must ask at the club house so they can open the gate. I think they're open 7am-5pm. Photos of the bird can be seen on my eBird checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S69395478

After seeing the reports of the rare terns down in the Tucson area the past few days, I scanned Cholla Lake from a wide pullout on the shoulder of I-40 westbound and the only terns I spotted were two Black Terns. No terns on Clear Creek Reservoir at McHood Park near Winslow when I checked at sunset, nor at the aforementioned reservoir or wastewater ponds in Holbrook earlier in the afternoon.

Good birding,

Eric Hough
Wickenburg, AZ

Tom Linda

Yesterday afternoon (20 May 2020) I found a male BLACKPOLL WARBLER on the north side of the reservoir north of Hidden Cove Golf Course near Holbrook (Navajo Co.), approx. lat/lon coordinates: 34.934, -110.198. This would appear to be a 2nd county record, following the first in Winslow last fall. The species is a casual migrant in AZ, with more records in fall than spring. It was loosely associated with some Yellow-rumped Warblers foraging in the tamarisks. To get access to the area north of the golf course, you must ask at the club house so they can open the gate. I think they're open 7am-5pm. Photos of the bird can be seen on my eBird checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S69395478

After seeing the reports of the rare terns down in the Tucson area the past few days, I scanned Cholla Lake from a wide pullout on the shoulder of I-40 westbound and the only terns I spotted were two Black Terns. No terns on Clear Creek Reservoir at McHood Park near Winslow when I checked at sunset, nor at the aforementioned reservoir or wastewater ponds in Holbrook earlier in the afternoon.

Good birding,

Eric Hough
Wickenburg, AZ
Great find Eric and sweet fotos