Long-tailed Duck at Ashurst Lake

tshedwall

Tom Linda, Kathryn Hart and I spotted a Long-tailed Duck at Ashurst Lake this morning. It was near the boat ramp, hugging the rocky shore to the left. It was hanging out with some Buffleheads and a Ruddy Duck when we saw it.IMG_2187 (2).JPGIMG_2194 (2) - Copy.JPG

jawilder

The bird is still around today, 10/26, and was first found in the far SE corner of the lake before swimming over to the boat ramp area. It seems to be using most of the lake, which makes it a bit tough to track down!

Really nice views in early morning light:

LTDU_sm.jpg

Great find, Tom!

Jason

gbotello

It's still there on 10/28/19. I spent an hour when I first arrived at 10:15AM in the boat launch area with no success. I then explored other areas on the lake returning to the boat launch area at 12:15PM. When I arrived the Long-tailed Duck was there close to the shore. I spent the next 45 minutes observing it.

This is a lifer for me!

Thanks to Tom and everyone else for leading me to this great bird!

GaryLong tailed Duck Ashurst Lake 10 28 19 11 100PI.jpgLong tailed Duck Ashurst Lake 10 28 19 5 100PI.jpgLong tailed Duck Ashurst Lake 10 28 19 8 100PI.jpgLong tailed Duck Ashurst Lake 10 28 19 11 100PI.jpgLong tailed Duck Ashurst Lake 10 28 19 14 100PI.jpgLong tailed Duck Ashurst Lake 10 28 19 16 100PI.jpg

Tom Linda

Ten of us on a Jay's Bird Barn trip has great looks at this beauty yesterday, Friday 11/9. I actually heard her call a few days earlier so I knew she was around. Sure enough we saw her swimming near the rocky point at the first good parking area on the SE side.

All of us enjoyed spectacular closeup looks at the Red-breasted Sapsucker at the boat launch. We hit the spot 3 times and were about to leavie when Joe said "Tom, there's a Sapsucker" and there it was for a good 5 minutes. We were lucky that Joe saw it fly into it's favorite tree, the scrawny one on the right side of the boat ramp.