Surf Scoter on Ashurst Lake today

Tom Linda

Roger Sleeper found an basic plumage SUSC this morning at Ashurst. Tom Hedwall and I relocated the bird this afternoon on the other side of the rocky breakwall where the Long-tailed Duck hangs out. The birding world has been a bit crazy lately no?

sleeper

Still around. I scanned over the duck mass a dozen times and only saw the Scoter head up once. Rest of time must have been sleeping. When sleeping she blends in with Ruddys, Scoter is slightly larger and if you can see side of head the white pattern is a little different.

Tom Linda

Still around. I scanned over the duck mass a dozen times and only saw the Scoter head up once. Rest of time must have been sleeping. When sleeping she blends in with Ruddys, Scoter is slightly larger and if you can see side of head the white pattern is a little different.
She dives a lot and blends in well with other ducks. I've seen the bird mixed with Buffies, Ruddies, Lesser Scaup etc. Eventually she reveals.

jawilder

Surf Scoter is still there on Thanksgiving morning, and the road is still open. The scoter is pretty hard to keep track of among the crowd of other ducks. Also present today was a Bonaparte's Gull fighting the wind. A California Gull was on Upper Lake Mary.

Jason
susc.jpg

BOGU.jpg