Yellow-throated Warbler: Page Springs 1/9/20

gbotello

As many of you might have already heard, there is a Yellow-throated Warbler that has been at Page Springs for the past few days. It has been foraging around the pond outlet stream (where the green building is) on the side where the main ponds are (not the fish hatchery side).

I arrived at 11:15AM, searching the area for almost 2 hours until it finally arrived at 1:00PM. I stayed and watched it until 1:30PM.

This was a lifer for me!

GaryYellow throated Warbler Page Springs 1 9 20 4 100PI.jpgYellow throated Warbler Page Springs 1 9 20 5 100PI.jpgYellow throated Warbler Page Springs 1 9 20 7 100PI.jpgYellow throated Warbler Page Springs 1 9 20 10 100PI.jpgYellow throated Warbler Page Springs 1 9 20 11 100PI.jpg

Roger

How would we have heard? Are you referring to the Springsnail enclosure where Bubbling Ponds discharges into the adjacent trailer park?

Great bird for the Verde and that location! Excellent photos too.

gbotello

How would we have heard? Are you referring to the Springsnail enclosure where Bubbling Ponds discharges into the adjacent trailer park?

Great bird for the Verde and that location! Excellent photos too.
I thought maybe people saw the posts on ebird or the AZ/NM Forum...Yes, I believe that is the spot...it is the same place that the Louisiana Waterthrush was hanging out a couple of years ago.

Gary

Roger

Thanks Gary, for reporting this local bird to the local website. There are Luddites among us who are not on Facebook and incredibly, do not regularly browse eBirds or the AZNM forum.

The warbler was enjoyed by several birders today, 11 Jan, from noon to 1pm at the described location. This bird was quite confiding and seemed to prey mostly on some kind of midge snatched from the waters edge, which it de-winged before consuming.
1578781149069.png

1578781514438.png

1578781911011.png

Numerous Yellow-rumped Warblers and a couple of Orange-crowned, and a Marsh Wren were also enjoying the warmth of mid-day. At least 4 Hooded Mergansers mingled with the expected ducks on the fish ponds.

1578782151712.png

Kimbo25

I'm glad the clarification was posted about the location of the Yellow-Throated Warber. The eBird post
said the Page Springs Hatchery, so I spent some time there looking for a greenhouse...I will post
separately about my sightings there and at the Bubbling Ponds. And I did see the warbler - a lifer for me, too!